VCHSS History 101

Topics related to the Virginia Championship Hare Scramble Series (VCHSS).

Moderators: T.J. Greer, Moderator

Big G
Holeshot Award Winner
Holeshot Award Winner

VCHSS History 101

#1 Postby Big G » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:28 pm

With the banquet coming up to end another successful VCHSS season, I thought I'd throw out a little brain teaser. Four of these teasers are planned.

The first meeting to establish the VCHSS occurred in the winter of 1984 and took place at a small steak house near Charlottesville. Can you name the seven (7) people who attended that meeting and what organization they represented. You have until Saturday morning to come up with the answers before I post them and move on to the next teaser.

Good Luck!

Good Riding,
'big' George Greer
'big' G

Rattlesnake
Class Champion
Class Champion

Re: VCHSS History 101

#2 Postby Rattlesnake » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:25 pm

There is no lucky guess on this one, I have thought about this for hours, I think I can come up with five, but the other two.......quite the teaser George
Peery Brown
276-620-0400

Big G
Holeshot Award Winner
Holeshot Award Winner

#3 Postby Big G » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:36 pm

Peery, I'm impressed you came up with five. You were probably just a teenager then with a lot less 'worldly' cares ! !

Keep thinking.

'big' George
'big' G

wahoo
Class Champion
Class Champion

#4 Postby wahoo » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:35 am

George Greer-peninsula
Rick Pino-cvtr
Jim Thompson-walker farm
Fred Brown-rattlesnake
Stan Norris-Stanton
Gary Hatch-reddy hole
Donnie Lewis - surry
Montie Orr
2018 300 XCW
, STARCITY POWERSPORT
MONTIE ORR .CONTRACTOR

Cutter
Grand Champion
Grand Champion

#5 Postby Cutter » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:15 pm

George Greer peninsula
Fred Brown. Rattlesnake
Tim Norris CVTR
JIm Thompson Chestnut Mt
Donnie Lewis. TDR
Rick Pino. reddy hole
Stan Norris Stoneybroke
Chuck Honeycutt
Wayne's Cycle Shop
April Fools and The Jesters Enduro @ Oakridge

Big G
Holeshot Award Winner
Holeshot Award Winner

#6 Postby Big G » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:38 pm

That was close Chuck. You missed one obvious that I know you know and one that I had trouble remembering.

George
'big' G

CrazyTed
Grand Champion
Grand Champion

#7 Postby CrazyTed » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:22 pm

Bob Wilt....
Ted Marriner CrazyTed
2015 Husqvarna FE350 #826
CrazyTed's Racing Proud VCHSS Sponsor.
ImageMetamucil Militia

Cutter
Grand Champion
Grand Champion

#8 Postby Cutter » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:24 pm

So drop Norris and add RJ Faddis fir land shark?
Chuck Honeycutt
Wayne's Cycle Shop

wahoo
Class Champion
Class Champion

#9 Postby wahoo » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:35 pm

landshark was way after, 84
Montie Orr
2018 300 XCW
, STARCITY POWERSPORT
MONTIE ORR .CONTRACTOR

Cutter
Grand Champion
Grand Champion

#10 Postby Cutter » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:46 pm

I was way after 84 too, (I was in Germany playing Army) so this is all based on what I've been told over the years. LOL

Be a lot easier if I knew the first schedule. I actually question a couple I am confident on George, Rick, Tim and Fred, I have to wonder if someone was there for Martinville,- since they were active with the enduro that most likely is a good guess for a participant. I went with Jim because I think I remember someone telling me he was there. I know Danny was leading races but I don't know if he was leading the club at such a young age. Bobby Wilt may have been there and was the awards co-ordinator the second year but I doubt he had a separate club other than Pennisula to rep. Donnie or Bob Williams is a toss up for TDR, I settled on Donnie because I couldn't imagine him not being there if he had a choice. Stoneybroke could have Stan or his son Paul?.
How about the first schedule George that will seal the deal
Chuck Honeycutt
Wayne's Cycle Shop

Big G
Holeshot Award Winner
Holeshot Award Winner

#11 Postby Big G » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:40 am

I knew this would be a tough one. I actually had to access the series historical records to make me 'remember' who was there.

They were:
Rick Pino; Tidewater Dirt Riders
George Greer; Peninsula Trailriders
Bobby Wilt; Peninsula Trailriders
Tim Norris; Central Va Trailriders
Jim Thompson; Chestnut Mountain Enduro Riders
Fred Brown; Wytheville Raceway
David Neese; Summit Point Raceway, WV

History Note: Rick Pino came from New Jersey to Va in 1983 due to work. At the time, he was still driving back and forth to NJ where he ended up winning the ECEA 200A Enduro Class Championship. I guess he thought if a series like the ECEA could be organized up North, then why not here. Early in 1984, Rick contacted those he know were active in racing and arranged for all of us to meet up near Charlottesville. Now you know who originally organized this series. Rick was elected President, I was elected Series Coordinator and Tim Norris was elected as Awards person. Bobby took over the awards position in 1985 and then spent many years in that position as the series really started to grow. While I understand that as of today we have a record of well over 750 banquet reservations, we had (testing my memory here) 113 attend the first banquet. We almost cancelled that first banquet when only about a dozen reservations had been received a week prior to the banquet. However, the reservations came pouring in that last week (still happening that way!) to reach the 113 number and away we went. Seats weren't reserved and you just sat wherever you could find a chair. Back then, a $1 per rider was collected from each promoter to help pay for expenses and buy year end awards. The series was pretty poor with some of us pouring our personal money into it trying to keep it going. Going into the 1985 season, we were basically broke before the season even started and were trying to figure out a way to print and mail flyers. Our mailings encompassed a five state area as we tried to reach as many riders and dealerships as we could. Thousands of flyers were sent out. With no computers being around, every mailing had to be hand addressed; believe me when I tell you it was very time consuming. With the kickoff of the second season looking kind of dim, we ended up getting a contribution that I always felt greatly contributed to saving this series. The President of the Golden Eagles motorcycle park in Oceana (a guy named Bob Tarrant) called me and donated over $1300 when his club folded and he was looking for a place to donate the money. The timing was God sent, our second year was a bigger success and the series continued to grow year after year. Now with the continued work of a bunch of hard working series officers, backed by a caring and hard working group of event promoters, the VCHSS has grown into a series that is recognized across the United States as one of the top and best run series to be found anywhere. Two years ago, one of our series sponsors attending his first VCHSS banquet told me that he had most likely had attended a banquet for every off road organization in the US plus many overseas. That series sponsor said our banquet was the best and most organized he had ever seen.

And there you have VCHSS History 101!

Hope you enjoyed it a little!

Good Riding,
'big' George
'big' G

GoWest Racing
Rookie
Rookie

#12 Postby GoWest Racing » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:47 am

Big George, I want to say thank you so much for sharing this on the bulletin board. I always hesitate before I log-in because I never know which way topics are going to sway. But this was one of the best post all season. For us rookies who maybe came into the series from different ways, this is greatly appreciated. This makes me want to come back and see the next trivia question you have. Many of us look up to you for guidance, me for one when it comes to things is this amazing series and this is why. Your wisdom is priceless. Again THANK YOU for using the BB as positive resource for all.
GoWest Racing!!!
Campbell 45W
Carson 45K
Camryn 54W
Robbie West RACE DAD, 2017 Event and Series Referee
Brandy West RACE MOM, 2017 Awards and Sponsorship Coordinator

CrazyTed
Grand Champion
Grand Champion

#13 Postby CrazyTed » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:51 pm

Knew six of them. Knew Bob Wilt was there as I've talked to him about it before.
Ted Marriner CrazyTed
2015 Husqvarna FE350 #826
CrazyTed's Racing Proud VCHSS Sponsor.
ImageMetamucil Militia

race613
Rookie
Rookie

#14 Postby race613 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:10 pm

George for sure thank you for the history lesson. Being that I'm the series rookie promotor I really enjoy hearing the stories of the past . I raced the series in 1986 twice but I was listed as Shane Kelley as I filled in as he got hurt at the hotel .Great stories .
Thanks
Pete
Pete Jenkins
Class Champion 40-C
CVTR

Rattlesnake
Class Champion
Class Champion

#15 Postby Rattlesnake » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:44 pm

Ahh, wilt and neese was the one's I couldn't come up with, I was thinking Lewis and Morrison or somebody from Martinsville Good one
Peery Brown
276-620-0400

Return to “VCHSS Forum”