Feedback Request - Faast Flexx Bars for Arm Pump

Bike setup, tips, and techniques

Moderators: T.J. Greer, Moderator

TeamNoSlack
Grand Champion
Grand Champion

Feedback Request - Faast Flexx Bars for Arm Pump

#1 Postby TeamNoSlack » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:28 pm

So... I spent the morning race running hard for 4 miles then the dreaded arm pump grabbed me and would not let go.

Have any of you fellow racers used the Flexx Bars to combat this issue and if so, how did it turn out?

You would have figured that after 2 hours on the bike before the race, I'd be all warmed up but that did not happen this week. The course was great but I could not hold on.

Thankks!!!!
Bill Pacey
Tidewater Dirt Rider
VCHSS - Horizon Marshal
32s

TeamNoSlack Sponsors:
~ CorMoto Graphics
~ Steere Power Suspension
~ Crazy Ted's Racing
~ Sledgehammer Manuf.
~ Volvo Penta

2013 - 300XC - 32s
2008 - KX65 - 89K
2006 - 125SX - 32L

jimatwell88
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Feedback Request - Faast Flexx Bars for Arm Pump

#2 Postby jimatwell88 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:07 am

Anxious to hear some responses to this arm pump issue! I, too have had terrible arm pump at both BR races for pretty much the entire race. Cardio wise, I didn't feel that bad or tired, but I just could not grip the bars hard enough to really push and ride hard.

If anyone has suggestions, please post some replies!

Jim
Jim Atwell 88S
09 Honda CRF 250X
06 KTM 300 XC-W
06 Suzuki DRZ 400S
12 Yamaha Rhino Sport

ehornick
Rookie
Rookie

#3 Postby ehornick » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:39 am

Bill,
My experience with the Flexx Bars is they work great when you are standing up as your arms are pretty much in line with their movement.
Once you sit down I didn't notice much flex going on.
So it really depends on your riding style. I would try to borrow a set if you can and try it first.
Thanks,
Eddie Hornick
27G
KTM 250 XCW
Ridersville Cycles, Allsport Cycles, Leatt, Cycle Connection, E-Tech

TeamNoSlack
Grand Champion
Grand Champion

#4 Postby TeamNoSlack » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:15 pm

ehornick wrote:Bill,
My experience with the Flexx Bars is they work great when you are standing up as your arms are pretty much in line with their movement.
Once you sit down I didn't notice much flex going on.
So it really depends on your riding style. I would try to borrow a set if you can and try it first.
Thanks,

Thanks Eddie - now if I could only find a 300 that has them on it that I can race - :smt045
Bill Pacey
Tidewater Dirt Rider
VCHSS - Horizon Marshal
32s

TeamNoSlack Sponsors:
~ CorMoto Graphics
~ Steere Power Suspension
~ Crazy Ted's Racing
~ Sledgehammer Manuf.
~ Volvo Penta

2013 - 300XC - 32s
2008 - KX65 - 89K
2006 - 125SX - 32L

Team Yaway
Grand Champion
Grand Champion

#5 Postby Team Yaway » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:47 am

I've used Flexx bars for years, on the softest settings (blue/yellow)(beautifully complimenting colors); they may reduce the intensity of arm pump by about 20 - 30% IMHO by dampening the whip-effect of the bars. They certainly make for less muscle and skeletal strain which translates into less fatigue. However squeezing the tank, whether standing or sitting, will reduce arm pump 90%.

Warning: Blah blah blah:
Our thighs are 3 - 4X the mass of our forearms. The tank is centralized so it doesn't have the whip-effect of our thin wrists at the end of the grips at the end of our bars. Even taking into account that our thigh adductor muscles r doing most of the work, our legs can keep us on da bike with 1/4 to 1/5th the effort of our forearms (Butch could be an exception; his forearms are titanium versions of my thighs). Then there's our forearm flexor muscles causing friction/swelling/heat with our extensor muskuls constantly alternating and compressed in a compartment between two bones. In our thighs there are no such compartments because there is only one bone (femur). Since muscle heat produced in the thigh is not compartmentalized and dissipates faster through larger plumbing, we don't hear about Flexx pegs for "leg pump." Wait, that's not a bad idea; rubber mounted pegs!

Given the choice, would you ride an angry bull gripping the tips of its horns with your hands or squeezing its back with ur legs (assuming you had stirrups (foot pegs))?

More Blah blah:
IMHALWO (in my humble and long winded opinion) Flexx and mushroom grips will significantly reduce hand weakness and numbness caused by pressure to the branches of your ulnar nerve. 30 minutes into every ride would result in hand grip weakness and numbing of my pinky and ring finger often causing me to loose my grip. Now, less grip translated to less arm pump which was all well and good right up to the associated tree-pump and sudden stoppage. Flexx bars were the only thing that fixed this common palsy (among bicycle and bike riders), mushroom grips was icing on the Flexx cake.
Moses (Mo) Quiñones 5U
A big thanks to Travis Jones of Go Race for getting me into this sport.

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."
Journal entry of Jim Elliot on Oct. 28th 1949

Rattlesnake
Class Champion
Class Champion

#6 Postby Rattlesnake » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:25 pm

For me, it's all in the suspension. Particularly the rebound side. I have slowed my rebound considerably and I very seldom get any substantial armpump. At BR2 the only place that my bike made me grip was the up hill with all the imbedded rocks. I constantly remind myself to keep a loose grip on the bars, one way I do that is keep a finger on the clutch lever at all times, and by using the front brake. I grip the tank with the inside of my knees and I try and ride with my head over the bars and body forward, keeping my arms bent. If you maintain a very stiff upper body position then your probably gonna get armpump. You have to constantly think about keeping your upper body very fluid.
Having your suspension dialed in helps a lot too!
Peery Brown
276-620-0400

TeamNoSlack
Grand Champion
Grand Champion

#7 Postby TeamNoSlack » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:37 pm

Thanks guys for the feedback....

See you next weekend!!!
Bill Pacey
Tidewater Dirt Rider
VCHSS - Horizon Marshal